PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi first or MECIR?
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2016, 10:58
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
No right or wrong answer.

Centaurus, I'm going to disagree with you for the only time in my life. I promise.

I own a Flying School, we do a lot of Instrument Ratings. Firstly I don't believe for one minute that any Flying School would have a policy for pushing Students into a twin for an Instrument Rating for commercial gain. If so, market forces would have driven them out of this tough market. The margins are probably identical to that of a single engine aircraft. There is no Financial gain in doing it. The 50 percent reduction in twin hours for a saving of probably less than $2000, against the additional assymetric exposure, the more confident entrance to the flight test, the probable safety benefit, the cost of retraining and retesting in event of a fail, the fact that you may be thrown into the deep end on your first job and be potentially drawing on every bit of twin exposure you can recall, etc etc etc. Every pilot has to make their own decision. Its probably an additional 2% of the cost of your pilot training. Work an extra 3 weeks. Save. Make it work. Like I say to my kids. "Just because its my opinion, doesn't mean its the correct opinion"

Centaurus, I sincerely promise I will never have a differing view to you again.