PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you get charged for your aircraft hire?
Old 30th May 2016, 02:03
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen just about every variation on aircraft charging - but logbook is chock-to-chock in every civilian regime I know of.
Really? I can't actually find an FAA definition. 61.51 says a lot about logging flight time, but doesn't say exactly when it starts and stops. I was always taught engine start-to-stop. But on every airport I've flown from, the difference between this and chock-to-chock is negligible. It could be different, I suppose, if your tiedown was at the end of the runway. Realistically, you have to taxi to the runway, which is done at the same power setting as engine warmup, so you can do it as soon as the engine is running and you have done post-start checks. Similarly, once you've arrived at your parking spot, you don't wait long to shut down (except in a truly turbocharged aircraft maybe).

The helicopter is different, since you do full warm-up and cool down procedure before/after you move, and actually in the heli I log Hobbs time, which is controlled by the collective in the R44.

[Edited to add...] In fact it's in 61.1, and it does says "moves under its own power... until it comes to a halt" so it is strictly chock-to-chock. But for a normal fixed wing flight the difference is maybe a minute at most.

Last edited by n5296s; 30th May 2016 at 03:20.