PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Defence Force!! - You must be joking!! - Discuss....
Old 29th May 2016, 18:31
Lonewolf_50

Received 461 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by MACH2NUMBER
L Wolf. I haven't seen too much bickering about NATO, in this thread, only the proposed EURO Forces. NATO still works. NATO AWACS, which I know only too well, is a NATO product, driven by a severe operational shortfall during the Cold War and now sustained by industrial imperatives. Nations put in money and, roughly speaking, get their money back in industrial benefits. As far as I am aware, there is no similar scheme in the EU, which adds real additional capability and works. Perhaps others know more than I?
With warmest regards, Europe had a chance to handle a European security issue in Bosnia as "Europe" and failed badly. (Not for want of effort by a lot of folks in uniform). The habitual relationships were already there, from 40+ years of working together.

What second event/crisis can the EU defense proponents handle that establishes that collective effort as a stand alone from the long link? (I am not blind to some of the political obstacles to that). Put another way, whomever is championing this independent capability needs to demonstrate that the collective political will can get X done.

(That's why I tossed out the WEU flotilla, as it was an earnest effort in that direction well supported ... even though the larger effort eventually hadn't the momentum to work without outside help).

Since I've been a proponent of "bring the boys home" for about two decades (even though I lived in Germany as a kid and had a very fulfilling job in NATO proper) I may be an unusual PoV holder on this side of the pond.

Can the political obstacles be overcome?