PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you get charged for your aircraft hire?
Old 29th May 2016, 10:09
Hackett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you get charged for your aircraft hire?

Morning ladies and gents.

I've recently moved over 120 miles and as such joined a new flying club. My last club charged rental from brakes off to brakes on which I've always seen as a fair way to do things. This new club however charges on the Hobbs meter which starts charging as soon as the engine starts (and appears to run slightly fast if I'm honest). It's already proved to be a costly difference with an average of £30 per hour more expensive. In fact it would work out cheaper for me to drive back to my last club and fly their aircraft. My issue with this is it encourages pilots to rush their checks, as well as completely not bother allowing the oil temp to come up.

I'm interested to know how most other clubs charge their hire? And what are your thoughts?

From a personal pov, if I was an owner and I rented my aircraft out I would much rather a pilot waited a couple of mins for the oil temp to rise before TO and I see no point charging them when the engine is happily sitting at circa 1000rpm with minimal engine wear. On top of this I begrudge paying for time that I'm not putting in my logbook...as we all know "logbookable" time is chocks to chocks.

What's ya thoughts??