PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 29th May 2016, 08:17
Hompy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The finger of blame

What I find distressing about all crash threads is the almost desperate attempts of some contributors to apportion blame. In this case the person/people who posted "blaa blaa 'firewall' blaa blaa 'hangar floor'" etc. That specific post has been removed or taken down which is good, but there has been a common theme since that post which I find depressing at best.

Airbus have followed a similar nudge wink marketing/mitigation line since about day two. They couldn't possibly have 'known all along' what was the cause of this accident or there wouldn't be three or four possible causes now. All we can say for sure is that something above the cabin roof detatched from where it should normally be or broke and the aircraft fell to earth.

I would like to know what happened in this case. I am sure the families of those involved are desperate to find it out.

However, it is important to realise who in this or any crash has a vested interest in a particular outcome. The operators have an interest. One operator would like it to be the fault of the manufacturer and all the others would like it to be a maintenance error. The manufacturer also want a maintenance error to be found as the cause.

I have heard it said that the AIBN are biased. I don't believe this and were it true would the CAA or AAIB or BEA or any other party involved let that pass? Absolutely not.

So, the only unbiased view will be that of the investigation board.

With this in mind, some posters should have a little sensitivity towards the people directly involved, the engineers specifically. Fine to hypothesize, just as long as what you are saying doesn't point the all to easy to point finger at one or two individuals. It is wrong to do so and those doing it either lack the intelligence to realise it or are deeply unpleasant. That is me pointing the finger at you, you know who you are!