PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 29th May 2016, 01:19
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Raw data ILS being a classic case in point. I ask students, who came from a basic spam-can instrument panel, why they did not look at THE MAP? They had no answer
Interesting observation RAT 5. The MAP mode has always meant little to me personally when flying an ILS raw data or otherwise. I already know exactly where I am on the approach without being distracted by seeing lots of extra information on the MAP that I simply don't need in order to fly an ILS within tolerances.

I have always liked a dirty big HSI presentation in front of me when flying any ILS in any aircraft so I can pick the slightest movement of the CDI and correct for the trend. On the other hand, the miniature localiser needle moving laterally in the tiny box under the PFD in the MAP mode, never grabs my attention - but then I am sure its a personal preference. But the lovely long CDI on the HSI mode makes me feel at home.

It is rather like those captains (checkies or normal garden variety) who get quite irritated if their co-pilot flies an instrument approach with the elbow rests up (not being used) and insist their second in command have the elbow rests down for more accurate flying. It is personal preference.