PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The morons on 121.5. Authorities please act!
Old 29th May 2016, 01:19
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anengineer
It's surely time to move away from the archaic anonymous VHF system. This is 2016. I have a phone in my pocket that can instantly identify my 'transmissions' as being from me and also give my location. That technology cost peanuts.

If the idiots abusing 121.5 for their juvenile amusement were immediately identifiable, it would stop - instantly. A small data packet accompanying each mic press is all that's needed.

Apart from the benefit of silencing the idiots, there would be others, e.g. the aircraft ATC is currently talking to could highlight on the ATCO's screen.

The technology is already here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_radio. Why are we still using 1950's radio tech in the most complex vehicles ever made ?
We are using archaic systems because of airline beancounters who want to see a 'monetized profit' from any change within 18 months.

There are multiple different ways of identifying 'the idiots' and also removing the change of frequency issues. But it is cheaper to have a standard VHF box or two on the flight deck and cheap wins _every_ time. Safety never comes first for a beancounter.