PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight West Reunion
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2016, 21:09
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard there was a book written but didn't see it myself. A few that did read it wondered whether it was fact or fiction!

Don't know who was from Maroochydore. No w-----s in the company in the time I am familiar with.

Noel Bellamy had contacts!! An illustrious previous Air Force career helped significantly with DCA...........

Why did FWA replace the B200 with the Jetstream?
Well, why not? It was obviously a logical decision by later company management, based on the following supporting facts:
  • TAA operated three Jetstreams very unsuccessfully in Western Queensland, using chartered Navajos to carry the baggage.
  • The company only had Continental IO-520, PT6A-27, -34, -41, -42, PW118, PW120 turbines and RR Speys, why not a few Garret turbines that would be temp limited in the Western Queensland Summers?
  • Barons, King Airs, Bandits, Twotters, Dash 8s, Brasilias, Fokkers - a few Jetstreams would nicely round out the fleet types.
  • Half the payload, higher operating costs and slower speeds than the Brasilia, certainly made the Jetstream attractive to Company management.
  • Previous Garret turbine operating experience in the Solomons that ended in tears was probably the deal clincher for the Jetstream purchase.

I'm sure there are other supporting factors in favour of the decision to acquire Jetstreams.

In later years it was all a disaster looking for a place to happen.