PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 28th May 2016, 13:51
buzz66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrrgggg finally a few more pictures of the puzzle.

The Missing Ring Gear makes it's presence now....That my friends now makes this whole thing a game changer.

Anyone notice Airbus put the Sus Bar as lead cause, but the AIBN have Epicyclic as lead cause.

Airbus know dam well an Epicyclic failure is an absolute game over scenario for the EC225. It might be allowed to live if the Sus Bar or Foot was proven as root cause.

Like I said in the beginning a Sus bar failure won't result in a ruptured gearbox.
EVERYTHING including the Engines literally hangs off this Gearbox and will break away with very little resistance.
It's simple physics.
Any massive sudden over torque will cause a Bevel Gear to fail well before a Straight Cut Gear. The only reason they use Bevel Gears is because Straight cut Gears can't transmit TQ 90 Degree's. Any TQ failure induced by the way of a failing Sus Bar will destroy the Bevel well before the Epicyclic lets go.
This didn't happen here.

Here's another thing, during run dry full power testing the Gearbox finally grinds to a halt after it twists the engines off like butter, Barby Plate tears away the Sus Bars then snap like twigs and guess what, the Gearbox stays in one piece. Funny that hey!

So somehow this Sus Bar defied the Laws of Physics by breaking and either it, or one of it's 2 ...Tin Can Mates then damaged the Gearbox Case (Bit like throwing an empty Beer Can at your Car and expecting the Window to be broken), by now there is no TQ going into the gearbox because those 3 piss ant Tie Bolts holding the Engines to the Tranny are the first thing to leave the scene, and then the Ring Gear bursts with enough force to spit Planets out that end up in different locations despite no TQ coming from the Engines.....Nice Fairy Tale. I wish you all the Best with that Mister Airbus!
Talk about failing on your Sword.

Simple fact is s Broken Sus Bar or foot will transfer lifting force from the Sus Bars into the Barby Plate and the whole Tranny, less the Engines would depart the Scene.
It's really no more complex than that.

It's about time Helicopter design stopped trying to mimic the Fixed Wing World, and concentrate on reliability and longevity instead of efficiency.
Keep in mind a Helicopter is a very inefficient and inherently unstable platform to begin with, and trying to change that comes at a cost.
I know what the cost is and who ends up paying for it....Question is do you!

I knew in my gut the EC225 was never going to make it the first time I stood under the Rotor when it was running some 7 years ago now.
I still maintain and always will, that weird kidney pounding harmonic thump these 225's produce with FPOG is just not normal for anything that rotates let alone a Helicopter.

Last edited by buzz66; 28th May 2016 at 15:43.