PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:42
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
jw

My new airline have a policy allowing pilots to use the sims whenever they are not in use for self-directed practice, and as somebody moving on to long haul, I hope to try to get in once every month or so to bash through a bit of raw data circuits, approaches and failures.
Not sure who you are with but where I work they also have that scheme. However most guys these days are FTL'd out/to knackered and/or to busy to drag themselves out of bed/away from family life on a regular basis to do sims in their spare time . There also needs to be a qualified panel operator to run the box, so at our place it's not easy to organise on a regular and frequent basis.

As aside, just on the off chance it's relevant to your plans, I'll mention that there can be a problem ( again at least where I work) for pilots trying to get extra practise by volunteering as in stand-in P1/P2 on another pilots recurrent detail (e.g because the originally rostered pilot went sick). Some of those volunteers have suddenly found themselves in "jeopardy" because, volunteer or not, they've been involved in a check that has not gone as planned ....

I'm certainly not disagreeing in principle with the sort of thing you're suggesting but with workload these days it should be done on the company's time, and with some clear ROE (pull the wings off - yes/no? full SOPs - yes/no? jeopardy- yes/no?......)

Last edited by wiggy; 28th May 2016 at 17:05.