PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 28th May 2016, 08:34
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps PPRuNe readers would like add to the list of pure flying sequences they would like to practice in order to be at one with their aircraft.

When I had the opportunity to write a FFS TR course for B737 I started session 1 with this. Later, when having to teach someone else's TR syllabus with little manual flying included, I also used it for students who were having trouble with manoeuvres like raw data ILS and SE ILS & GA. Those whose scan was weak & slow and feel a bit agricultural.

No FD's.

* 5000' level 210kts.
* Accel 250kts then reduce 210kts and accel 250kts.
* level turns 25degrees BA through 90 degrees then reverse with no pause for 90 degrees.
* continue the turn & increase bank 45 for 180 degrees then reverse for 180 degrees.
* maintain turn & reduce 25BA and reduce speed 210kts for 120degrees then reverse and accel 250kts for 180 degrees.
* Climb 1000' at 1000fpm 25BA 90 degrees.
* level off maintain 25BA for 90 degrees.
* reverse turn 25BA and descend 1000' at 1000fpm for 180 degrees.
* reverse the turn 25BA and climb 1000' at 1000fpm.
* level off, maintain 25BA and reduce 210kts for 180 degrees.
* wings level. maintain HDG.
* radar vectors to a raw data ILS. IMC
* allow descend for +/- 2500 - 3000'.
* Call a GA at 200' with MAA at 3000'.
* Clean up and level off.

I call this aerial ballet. The a/c is always dynamic in hdg/speed/BA/ROC/ROD. Not only does it develop feel it develops and increases scan speed. It also educates the students WHERE to look for the information. If they've come from non-glass cockpit or EFIS the FBS phase on autopilot does not develop a scan. Suddenly, in FFS, they are expected to have a scan in a totally different instrument layout and perhaps many months since their last flying lessons. Their instrument scanning is already only minimum experience and needs developing step by step to help confidence.
I'd spent years on needles & dials. It took me much practice to feel confident with an EFIS scan. I had the feel for a jet and knew power/att settings. I had lots of spare capacity to learn a new cockpit. The cadets do not and IMHO too much is expected of them too early without giving them the necessary tools to do the job.
The 'ballet' is a basic concept that can be adjusted, modified to suit. Follow it with no FD circuit training and importantly include some GA's, even 500' low level circuits. 1 hour at the beginning of FFS will reap rewards. It is also a great refresher for those who are not allowed to do it on a day to day basis.
The airlines I've been involved with are expanding so fast but do not have spare FFS time to allow their 1000's of pilots to have fun. They barely have enough sim time for all the mandatory stuff. It's sad the way some companies restrict and discourage the maintenance of basic skills on the line. If they do that it is perhaps indicative of their overall attitude to piloting skills. There is the root cause of the problem. In B732 I was not taught, extensively, in the sim how to fly manually. I was taught the basics, learnt the power/ATT numbers, developed an OK scan and then, importantly, practiced and improved on the line. It was demonstrated by captains and they encouraged to follow suit. The pilot based management demanded excellence in piloting skills and captain management.

Hey JT. I was writing mine as you were posting yours. Seems we come from the same school.