PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2016, 15:54
TorqueOfTheDevil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flying opportunities do not only fall within the remit of HQAC (through Regions/Wings) to arrange, squadrons can also look for opportunities.

Contrary to the lack of flying that POBJOY is pushing, believe it or not, squadrons in our Wing have already got cadets up this year in Hercules, Pumas, Chinooks, King Airs, Squirrels; through the hard work of squadron staff trying to organise trips for cadets. And don't forget that AEF is still happening, even 5 AEF have started to fly at weekends.

Flying has not stopped in the ACO, just gliding........
Hear hear.

Flying has not stopped 'just Gliding'

Just about summs [sic] up the current thinking in the organisation.

Lets be clear Gliding was the Corps USP where a youngster from any average background had the opportunity to be taught to fly on his own and gain a BGA certificate (the only qualification in the gliding world)
To you maybe. I did three years in the ATC in the 90s and never even set eyes on a glider - had far too much fun going on camps and flying in Chipmunks. Powered flying as a cadet definitely motivated me to aspire to a flying career.

Not to belittle any flying but lets [sic] be clear it is not what the ATC was special for.
It looks awfully like you are belittling other types of flying available to cadets as well as those (both ACO staff and aircrew) who try to provide it. I would suggest that the cadets who were on board a multi-aircraft assault of Nesscliffe Training Area on Ex Dragon's Claw recently, as one example, would judge that to be as special as flying in a glider.