PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy Airlines & SlimLine Seats!
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2016, 15:27
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew a Captain who used to use the coach between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur rather than fly, even though he had access to staff travel. Door to door the coach journey was only two hours longer, it stopped closer to his home, no-one weighed his luggage, he could sleep most of the way in a comfortable seat and the coach never diverted because of bad weather.

For my next dive holiday I'm looking at using a ferry instead of flying. The airfare is very expensive, baggage is limited, the airport in question is small and has many diversions/delays/cancellations during the wet season and I have to wait before I can fly after diving.

The ferry is 1/3 the price, saves me two nights hotel accommodation as the sailings are overnight, I can take all my dive kit with me, I don't have to worry about decompression sickness and it can still sail in weather that would close the airport. I'll spend half the journey asleep onboard instead of sleeping in a hotel at origin/destination so I don't really lose any holiday time at all.