PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 27th May 2016, 14:58
Magjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interpretation

Originally Posted by lynnx
Question;

"When you said that you had found all the components belonging to the "torsion bars" (I assume he was referencing the suspension bars)", does that mean you have found all bolts, all safety connections etc. from which one could say no bolts have snapped, is that correct?"

Answer;

"We do not have all the bolts from the fixings. But we have traces at the fixings, both at the "base mounts" and on the... and we also have some bolts."

Is this not specific enough? ( and not included in your post)
A lot of this comes down to interpretation and translation, but I sincerely believe that the bolts he is referring to are the ones attaching the 3 fittings to the roof-structure of the aircraft. 4 bolts on each fitting, so a total of 12. It is obvious to me that some of them are missing, since I imagine they have sheared/pulled right off at or after commencement of the catastrophic event or at ground impact.

The traces he speaks about which makes them believe all these parts were present at the start of the accident, I assume are on the fittings (which they claim to have) and the roof structure itself. Whether or not these bolts had been correctly torqued is pure speculation at this point.

I don't know if this has been posted here earlier, but I found an eyewitness interview recorded on the day of the accident. The person works offshore but was at home outside his house on Turøy island, about 1km slant range from the helicopter ToD (my google map estimate) looking at it with his daughter. He says he has helicopter flights passing by his house every day and he rides them to and from work.

Source(Norwegian only)

The translation:

"I was looking at the helicopter as it was flying normally. Then after a few seconds it started veering back and forth quite substantially followed by 3-4 quite loud bangs where we then clearly see parts coming off of the helicopter. A few seconds after that there is one additional bang after which the helicopter goes straight down and the rotor has come off."

He estimates a time period of 10s maximum between the veering and the fuselage crash/impact with the ground. As he saw the rotor seperate they ran inside the house as he thought the rotor could possibly come crashing down on them.

Last edited by Magjam; 27th May 2016 at 15:18. Reason: Grammar