PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 27th May 2016, 07:45
birmingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzz66 agreed.

The current oil price is relevant here. At $50 and sub $50 oil much of the world's oilfields and a great deal of the NS fields are marginal at best. So we can't look at the current situation as business as usual.

Contractors are distressed and handing back aircraft. CHC alone are planning to let go of 38 332s and 225s in the next 90 days and will have 16 spare S92s that are going the same way.

Statoil are starting their own investigation into this incident and part of its remit is to recommend to the CEO and COO how they will respond to the tragedy to improve safety.It is inevitable that this enquiry will review the Puma's safety history. One option among many (and I stress option) is to switch types.

I'm not advocating this option - my personal view is that the problem (and please accept we have a problem here) is not with the Puma, in particular, but helicopter safety in general. That despite much improvement in the technology and continuous effort, we have been unable to improve the NS safety record for helicopters which (for fatal accidents at least) sits stubbornly at 1970s levels.

Also and to spare anyone pointing it out I am fully aware that changing types will not, in itself, in anyway whatsoever, guarantee an improvement in safety, it might even reduce it! - but it is an option that all the customers will probably consider.

Last edited by birmingham; 27th May 2016 at 08:53.