PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Picking up a stalled wing with full rudder no aileron.
Old 27th May 2016, 07:17
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
For years I thought the idea of applying power at the same time as lowering the nose during stall recovery was to give immediate increase in slipstream over the various lifting surface and thus give more lift - thereby recovering from the stall. Prop aircraft only, of course. Have I got it wrong over all these years?
In my opinion, yes. More thrust is almost entirely about putting more energy into the system to reduce height loss.

Jets are different. Increase thrust while simultaneously lowering the nose a few degrees to the horizon or just below, should increases speed hopefully and thus recovery from a stall should occur.
In my opinion, that makes jets the same.

When we compared notes at the SETP symposium in Madrid 3 years ago between the GA researchers who wrote the paper I linked, and the joint Boeing / Airbus team presenting on large aircraft stalling - it seemed to me that the only real differences were of numbers - big jets take longer to do everything and lose far more altitude, but the handling and reasons for doing things really don't change.

G