PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 26th May 2016, 20:15
Magjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some facts

There seems to be some misunderstanding on certain factual details regarding the accident discussed in this thread. I will quote and link relevant sources so that we can all try to have a better understanding of the matter at hand.

Originally Posted by TylerMonkey
They have only recovered a very small piece of the front suspension bar. ( plus the upper attaching pin, bearing and nappy pin). I don't see how AH can decide this early that the 225 is totally safe to fly. If they do not have the lower 90% of this Rod and the lower attaching bracket plus it's pin then there is a huge piece of the puzzle missing. What if they find these pieces later and there is evidence of metal fatigue or other failure. It seems to me they are mainly concerned if it is a gearbox problem like previous events. So far they feel it is not and therefore business as usual.
Originally Posted by birmingham
The latest from the AIBN is "most of the wreckage is recovered" - hopefully including the missing lift/suspension bar and associated components. It will be interesting to see whether something to do with the (apparently) missing suspension bar assembly is a symptom or a causal factor.
During the press conference that the AIBN held on the 13th of May the following was stated:

"We've noticed certain images in the media of a suspension bar - a "lift connection" - where a "foot" is missing. We've seen that this have created certain rumors.. The reality of the matter is that we have all the components belonging to the suspension bars. We have a good grasp on how the mechanisms there function, so far, but still a lot of research remains to be done also on that matter. However all components, as we see it, have been present. Though we are still missing the center portion of one of them, we do have the end pieces."

A follow up question from a journalist:

"When you said that you had found all the components belonging to the "torsion bars" (I assume he was referencing the suspension bars)", does that mean you have found all bolts, all safety connections etc. from which one could say no bolts have snapped, is that correct?"

Answer:

"We do not have all the bolts from the fixings. But we have traces at the fixings, both at the "base mounts" and on the... and we also have some bolts."

They also go on to later say:

"Half of all epicyclic gears have been found, approximately 50% of each of the two stages."

And:

"What is important to us at this point is to find the second stage planet carrier."

SOURCE

The video of the conference starts at 15:29 and the above quotes starts at at 19:18 (Norwegian only).

Last edited by Magjam; 26th May 2016 at 20:41. Reason: Added another quote