PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance and ARC
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2016, 16:33
atceng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thank contributors for their inputs,they will all help to clarify the situation.
Under the new regs the listed tasks which the owner operator is allowed to undertake now do not need a release to service by a licensed engineer but can be signed off by the owner operator who must be a pilot qualified to fly the aircraft.

The owner operator is cautioned that they must be sure that they have the necessary skills, tools, and experience. Checks such as 50hr oil change,filter cleaning/replacement are within the scope of the ownop.

This means that engineers will not be asked to certify work carried out by others,which I fully appreciate they dont want to do for many obvious reasons.

Anything concerning flight controls are explicitly excluded,as are many other flight critical items,mags etc. and only the listed tasks can be performed.

Possibly the CAA are obliquely addressing the present and future shortage of qualified engineers by releasing them from non critical work in order to concentrate on essential work on transport and training aircraft.

Maintenance facilities in the UK seem to be vastly overstretched. When asked if they can undertake a repair say next month there is a sharp intake of breath and head shaking,followed by a long list of committments.
On a quick look through GA mags I found no advertisements for Part 145 facilities.

Adoption by the industry would result in more pilots electing for CAA aircraft due to much reduced costs,and probably more business not less,and more pilots flying well proven aircraft.
- [ ]