PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 26th May 2016, 14:59
Miles Gustaph

Location: Behind a dusty desk, and in some really hot, dusty, wet and cold places subject to who is paying the bill. But mostly Gods own land.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasax,

I'm sorry but the reality of the North Sea is that while we all work diligently towards a zero accident rate, history and the environment shows us that despite performance and technological improvements accidents still affect the workforce.

This is absolutely heart-breaking but it is a reality that has existed, abet with different probability / severity levels since the first single engine helicopter went offshore.

Anyone who goes offshore knows this and the reality is that they are struggling with their own personal risk appetite and willingness to take a job with perhaps a lesser salary and certainly less time-off. Safety has improved as has the salaries and time off for the workforce which is the true root cause of workforce unhappiness. That said it is absolutely an imperative that the industry as a whole does everything it can to continually improve safety performance.

As for your examples of what you have done. You have given very poor examples and I am astounded that a technical safety assessor makes claims that can be so easily refuted. Did you provide data or did you rely on you technical skill, or was it just common sense that makes to think your being bull****ted by aviation professionals? If this is the level of your skillset and a representation of your work then I am not surprised that the workforce has unrealistic expectations of performance and are unhappy as you are making the unrealistic expectation to them, not the aviation companies!