PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 505 Jet Ranger X
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2016, 11:17
FlimsyFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. I did

Originally Posted by nigelh
Well , would you buy a new Robinson R66 even with just the "possibility" of the 505 getting built and certified within the next year ??!!
Hello to you all. Go easy on me as I'm a new member. I fully anticipate a lot of guffawing coming my way, but by way of introduction, thought I'd own up to the fact I had a new R66 delivered a couple of months ago, and just wanted to drop a different perspective into the discussion.

I spoke to the Bell importers, who were unable to tell me a) how much a 505 would actually cost, b) when it would be certified, and c) how long after certification deliveries to the UK, and more specifically to me would occur.

My issue was that I need a helicopter now, and not at an indeterminate point in the future. I'm a new PPL, and will use the machine almost exclusively for business transport. The majority of flights will be 3 or 4 up, and as I'm weighing in at 18st and 6'4", needed something with a bit of poke.

I had a trial flight in an EC120 with a well known Instructor from the Wycombe area, who said given the 90% fuel situation at the time would only be able to take him, me and one other. In spite of the to-die-for looks, it ruled it out for me.

A lot of folks suggested buying a 206BIII, but I'm not comfortable having something with so many years service behind it, no warranty at all, and more importantly, something where my head was sandwiched in the ceiling glass recess.

Having trained and passed in an R44, the flight characteristics were very similar and the conversion very straightforward. The running costs are low, and whilst I accept fully the arguments about the 2000hr / 12 year element, I still think the EC120 for example, with its 12 year airframe and 15 year engine overhauls is, broadly speaking, just as painful. People I've spoken to don't speak in glowing terms about either Airbus or TM on the maintenance front either, but acknowledge that some of you may have more positive experiences.

Our machine does have crashworthy seats (albeit not of the same design and construction, and not as sexy as those of 505 /H120 ), glass, autopilot, air conditioning, traffic and synthetic vision, so I feel its a bit unfair to describe it all as old tech - RHC is getting more up to speed.

Whether the 505 will cruise at 125kts at 80% is completely moot for me right now, as I can't have one. Our R66 with all the added weight of the options limps along at about 108-112kts at max continuous and 4 POB, which is good enough for us, but might not please everyone.

I'm well aware of the concerns over handling characteristics of RHC machines, and have done everything I can to be aware of them, to understand how to avoid them, and what to do in the event of the incipient stage. I'd be the first to admit that this is a definite weakness by comparison with the competition.

The reality is that I don't know how much use our machine will get. I reckon 150-180hrs per annum is a realistic target, but I guess a lot down to the UK weather. If 4 years in, I'm able to spec and buy a 505, and it does fly faster, smoother and with a higher specification, I might well buy one, and I may well lose my shirt on the R66, but so be it.

I'm sorry for the essay, but just wanted to explain the rationale. I think any heli purchase is a compromise over a number of factors, and the final decision is an extremely subjective one. My main point being that if you need a helicopter right now, no matter how good it ends up being, you can't have a 505. And for the time being, I'm in the minority of really enjoying the R66.