PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Picking up a stalled wing with full rudder no aileron.
Old 26th May 2016, 07:30
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I rather approve of BEAGLE shouting. The desire for a universal spin recovery, far too often translates into people believing it's real. Whilst the differences can be small and subtle - they matter.

Taking one example already mentioned, when I tested the the Auster 5L for LAA when the type moved from CofA to PtF, I checked the "SSR" of immediate forward stick as well as the POH version. The POH version is fine, but immediate forward stick caused substantial negative G. Fine for a Test Pilot in a hard helmet, specially tightened straps and ready for anything - but somebody in an inadvertent spin? Similarly, when I ran the X'Air spinning trial, we showed that the SSR required identification of the spin direction by a pilot, which they weren't trained to do, and also the powerful rudder could kick the aeroplane into a spin in the opposite direction. Hence the controls central recovery, common on many microlights including the X'Air, Thruster, SkyRanger...

So, I am shouting alongside BEagle I'm afraid.

G