PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance and ARC
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2016, 06:57
DeltaV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atceng, what type are you flying? I ask because as I understand it the MIP (Minimum Inspection Programme) is at present only available for ELA 1 aircraft. MIP for ELA 2 types (and beyond) is on its way but not yet delivered.

But the fly in the ointment might be that Part M organisations may have to apply for additional privileges in order to carry out the Airworthiness Review at the same time as the annual inspection, a requirement of the MIP, and that will probably entail additional expenditure and fuss for the organisation. It also implies that the ensuing ARC will be an annual 'uncontrolled' ARC instead of a 'controlled' 3 yearly ARC.

Which brings me round to my original question. What do you fly and how is it presently maintained? My own machine is ELA 1 and I operate with an 'uncontrolled' ARC using the BGA as CAMO. That means that I can do my own maintenance and have it signed off by a BGA inspector. In theory I believe you are able to do exactly the same thing with any Part M organisation but the trick would be in getting that organisation to accept that you are competent to do the work and to be prepared to sign it off afterwards.

So it probably comes down to a purely commercial decision for the CAMO. More expense but less income and arguably little reduction in responsibility.