PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2016, 21:54
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pax, pax, pax - no, no, no!

Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1
asdf, I disagree. It might be true somewhere isolated or with a captive market, but not SEN.

The sort of airlines that might use SEN will not be interested in paying very much, and why should they with LGW/STN/LTN also keen for their business and no doubt offering their own sweeteners. Profit needs to come from passengers - look at STN and their drop-off charge. Volume fills up the car park, keeps the bar busy, occupies hotel rooms.
Thanks for the illuminating comment A.P. You and SEN management are wrong to only consider an increase in PAX numbers as the only sign of success and future profitability.

Stobarts reportedly invested in excess of £100m in the airport infrastructure (how and where only they know) and their only future payback comes from commercial pax carriers?

A runway can be used by a myriad of users, from airlines to bizjets, flying schools to maintenance facilities, manufacturers to R&D. Yet SEN management only ever talk about pax numbers.

Go work out how much effort you need to put in to get a few quid in the bank for an EasyJet rotation and compare that to the effort and time invested in one bizjet or MRO movement.

Pax numbers is not a measure of profitability but that's all we hear from SEN management. I was right 4 years ago and very, very sadly I'm still right today. The mounting losses show that.