PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus just patented what could be the world's fastest helicopter
Old 25th May 2016, 21:32
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian Corrigible
the difference here is that the aircraft is using the same engines to mechanically drive both the rotor and the propulsors, in a similar vein to the Piasecki 16H/VTDP, Cheyenne and X2/S-97/SB>1. The XH-51A (and Bell 533, NH-3A, S-72, XH-59A & YUH-2, etc.) used auxilliary engines which imposed a weight/fuel burn penalty,
Good point - I'd overlooked that.

while the Rotordyne (and SO.1310, XV-1 & XV-9, etc.) used tip jets, with the associated acoustic issues.
True, but (as I alluded to previously) only when hovering or transitioning. In transient flight the rotor autorotated, so the penalty was the small additional weight of a fuel lifting pump & valves, pipes in the blades and the tip air-kerosene rockets themselves (which were tiny) plus some additional rotor drag from the non-operating tip motors. I would guess that this would be substantially less weight than the transmission systems for the single-engine alternative. The compressed air supply to the tip rockets was tapped from the compressors of the turboprop "thrust" motors, so what constitutes an "auxiliary engine" is a matter of definitions.

But as you say, the tip-rocket noise at the hover was completely unacceptable for something that was hoped to find a niche in ferrying between inner-city locations and airport hubs, and that's what killed it!

Of course the Fairey Gyrodyne (the original concept demonstrator) used a single engine to power both the rotor and the "thrust" propeller, while the Jet Gyrodyne that followed it used a single engine to drive the twin thrust propellers and the compressors (three Merlin superchargers, I believe!) that supplied the air feed to the tip-mounted air/kerosene rocket motors, so arguably both of these also used a single engine rather than a separate auxiliary engine. I believe the jet gyrodyne also used differential pitch on the thrust propellers for yaw control, but I could be wrong on that.

PDR