PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - slingsby firefly
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2016, 19:02
dobbin1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ModernDinosaur
Having once stalled my T67M Mk-II with the CofG at (but not beyond) the aft limit, I can confirm that the behaviour is MASSIVELY different to even a few millimeters further forward, and I will not be repeating the experiment. I would not want to spin the aircraft with an aft CofG, but I am quite happy spinning it elsewhere in the W&B/CofG envelope.

Sadly the "crappy job" robrob refers to resulted in multiple fatal accidents and wrecked the reputation of a very capable aerobatic initial trainer aircraft.

In my opinion, the Firefly's biggest weakness is that it is too easy to fly (and to aerobat) most of the time, imbuing pilots with confidence not matched by their competence. This results in them taking risks they don't understand and aren't capable of handling, giving an accident rate which is higher than some other aircraft, but it is lower than others, and is comparable with most other aerobatic types which are used primarily for aerobatics (i.e. discounting the C152Aerobat which is seldom aerobatted).
I'm curious. In what way was the spin behaviour different with the aft CofG?