PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sichuan Airlines WARNING..!
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2016, 06:20
Onesixty2four

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the "airline" I was with in Shanghai for a couple of years. Had a 4 year contract but seriously could not stand another minute there. Many of the things you mention appear to be endemic to Chinese operations (eg. crazy-ass medicals on days off, mandatory "safety" meetings on days off, etc...).

When you begin with a Chinese airline, if you're smart it doesn't take long to realise you have fallen through the rabbit hole and into another dimension. I remember well that sinking feeling when, at a "safety" meeting, it became apparent that the clown conducting the meeting (the Chief Pilot I think) didn't understand the difference between VFR and VMC. Stunned is a word that doesn't even come close to expressing my state of mind then.

Another great one was when I had a couple of days off, so decided to visit another polluted Chinese cess pit (Nanjing - with beautiful yellowish brown sky). While there I received a phone call from company telling me that I would be working that afternoon. I said that I was on a day off, and besides, I wasn't in Shanghai. After a brief pause the retard at the other end of the phone asked why I was in Nanjing. I said that I was visiting friends. I was the told that I was based in Shanghai and that my days off should be spent there. I told him to f**k off and hung up.

On another day I was having lunch and drinks with a buddy of mine when his phone went. He was on a day off but was told he would be working. When he said that he'd been at lunch drinking the dispatcher asked him to hold the line. After a short while the dispatcher came back on and asked him how much had he drunk. Click!

Anyway, I could wirte a book about my 2 years in China (oh, actually someone already has - look it up "Flying upside down"). Seriously, if one is thinking of making the leap to China, read this book and think again. The final straw for me was when the CAAC decided that when you had a massive gate hold but no PAX onboard, you were no longer clocking up duty time. I had one particularly harrowing duty that stretched to over 20 hours (but was still legal?!?!?!). When I bought this up at a "safety" meeting the clowns in charge said "Captain, if it is legal, it is safe". This from the people who sincerely believed that if you were not stabilised by 1,000 AGL the approach was unsafe (I tried to make them see that it was not within company limits, yes. But unsafe? No. They just do not understand the concept of safety in the aviation environment).

Anyway, I'm now out of there and happily flying for a great bunch of people on a very much reduced salary - and I couldn't be more thrilled.