PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - W-10 unexpected update
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2016, 00:46
FullOppositeRudder

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I have several friends who have woken their computers in recent weeks to find themselves with a W10 machine, some when they thought they had said NO to all of the seductive messages from Micro$oft offering a whole new way of computing life if they accept.

Sadly that's become more factual than even the boffins at M$ perhaps foresaw. I know of a couple who lost the use of their printers and scanner. Some were able to be rescued after a visit to the local technician (for a fee of course).

One other who cheerfully accepted the upgrade from Vista on his laptop right at the start of the W10 onslaught discovered just this. Unfortunately there seemed to be no solution for this when he last spoke to me - his functional computer system had been reduced to a virtually useless collection of equipment for much of his everyday computer work.

I wrestle with the word "unethical" here. Perhaps it's the right description, perhaps it's too soft. There are other descriptions I could use for a company who is operating in this way, but I shall refrain from so doing - in print at least.

FOR

PS I formally replaced my XP travel netbook yesterday with a new Dell - running W10 of course. I spent couple of hours yesterday removing the unwanted and installing Classic Shell. It's beginning to look more like something I can work with, but there's still a way to go ....