PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 24th May 2016, 12:15
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheelsright

I did say that the drink spill incident was on a very early aircraft that had Kapton wiring.

Kapton wire was one of the great cock ups of the industry as it had some very bad habits if there was a wiring fault, following a number of incidents the industry at considerable cost removed all the Kapton wire from service.

The last place I saw Kapton wire fitted was in a B738NG IFE system in about 2000. Even then the IFE was locked out until the whole IFE loom assembly was removed and replaced with something a lot better.

Due to the date of construction I am sure that you would not find any Kapton wire on this ( or any other ) Airbus manufactured after about 1995 and any fitted to earlier aircraft should have been removed by now.

Experience tells me that the aircraft had big electrical issues and the Airbus electrical fire and smoke removal non normal check lists go around in circles so it is not an easy situation to contain but the reason that the problems started is only going to become clear when the accident investigators have finished their work.