PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying as a hobby
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2016, 09:30
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my main question is; Is it too expensive of a hobby? Spending thousands upon thousands just to fly?
So go and spend $20K on a jet ski, use it every second weekend for 6 months of the year then once a month next summer and then be lucky to get it out once the following year. Sell it for $10K

Or spend $20K on a skill you have for life. Yep there are ongoing costs. A mate of mine learning to fly put it this way.

"An hour of flying costs me (for example) $300. But that hour of flying actually takes me an hour dreaming about what I want to do, an hour convincing the wife it is a good idea, an hour planning the flight, and hour getting the plane ready, the hour of flight, and hour putting the plane to bed, three or four hours reliving the flight over th next few days, lather rinse repeat." So for every hours flight I might actually do 6-8 hours of "stuff" to do with that flight, which is all part and partial of that flight and also a big part of the enjoyment, if I work that out at an hourly cost across that it comes out to less than $40 per hour. That is very much value for money in my book".

His view might not work for everyone but I do love his very pragmatic approach. As Left 270 said, the hourly cost, costs you an hour, but realistically that is not all that is involved in that flight, or any flight. Just the most visible part.

I don't know any single pilot who flies or has flown for fun who has ever regretted his or her decision. In fact nearly everyone I know regrets not doing (insert something here where they could have made more money but decided not to for whatever reason) to fund more flying!

If you want to do something, you will find the time and money. If you don't want to do something, you will find an excuse.

Cheers
CB