PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The morons on 121.5. Authorities please act!
Old 24th May 2016, 05:25
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
billyt - Al E Vator why would you monitor 121.5 when in the terminal area? It's saved my butt a couple of times. Whilst on approach freq, F/O has miss-switched VHF1 to Tower or Ground (having meant to preselect it as the next frequency) and Approach ended-up calling us on 121.5. Very good backup rendered increasingly useless by buffoons chatting about rubbish and blocking 121.5. It's worse if there is a genuine PAN or MAYDAY call blocked by the idiot brigade (who by the way don't include inadvertent calls to company frequency - we've all done that and the odd "on guard" retort hasn't been interpreted by me as offensive at all).

Out of Trim - If you had read the thread properly; you would have realised that 121.5 MHz is the UK dedicated frequency on VHF. Covered by Autotriangulation equipment. ( Radio Direction Finding Equipment ). That's my point mate - get another frequency that performs the same function. 121.5 is for genuine emergencies and is being rendered useless. Going into LHR or MAN, I just have to turn 121.5 off which is a real shame.