PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 24th May 2016, 00:07
JohanB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GarageYears
Lot's of ideas related to the FO's iPad catching fire and taking out the aircraft, so I thought it worth trying to find out how often iPads catch fire generally...

So, this isn't truly a scientific search, but try typing in "iPad battery fire" or "iPad fire" into Google and see what you get? Not very much at all, and certainly I couldn't find one video of an iPad catching fire without an external source or of the remains after a fire caused by the battery igniting.

I'm not saying it isn't possible but it just seems very, very, very unlikely, given it clearly is incredibly rare generally. As far as I can see an iPad fire seems about just as likely as the aircraft being hit by a falling satellite part, when it comes to probabilities.

I understand it is human nature to want to fit a solution to the puzzle pieces we have to date, but I am firmly of the believe that it's just too soon and we just don't have enough info for anything to be meaningful.
iPad Air EXPLODES leading to mobile phone shop evacuation | Daily Mail Online