PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do people believe you are a pilot ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2003, 20:23
Wingover79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let this be a warning...

To all those that use the "I'm a pilot" routine when chatting up the ladies, be warned it can backfire.

A few years ago I was sitting in Kwik Fit waiting for my car to be fixed, when a young man sat next to me a started talking to me. To cut to the chase he tried to chat me up (unsuccessfully I might add) by using the aforementioned routine. I let him dig a really really deep hole before asking him a few questions about what sort of aircraft he flew etc.

It was a this point that he started to get nervous, my informed questioning had got him worried, even though I seemed to be lapping up what he was telling me with what he thought was admiration and hopefully adoration. He asked how I knew so much... and yes you guessed it I finally put him out of his misery by explaining that I too was a pilot ( I say too but his next reaction confirmed to me that he was telling a few porkies). I have never seen anyone go so red or disappear so fast. He promptly told Mr Kwik Fit that he would come and collect his car later and left.

Another reaction I used to get frequently, especially when I was a very very young female pilot (still female by the way just not so young anymore) was "really you fly planes - what all on your own?). I really don't know why it is so unbelieveable to so many that a young intelligent girl would be capable of flying an aircraft all on her very own.

WO79