PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to the Sky Trust to return Canberra WK163 to display flight
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:50
Gsxr600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krystal n Chips and Simplethebeast, completely agree with you. I love Cold War Jets but if I was to chuck some money in the bucket it would be for a Shack before a Canberra. Not taking anything away from the Canberra, I'd be interested to see it flying, but its no Vulcan.

The problem seems to me that the Vulcan is a tough act to follow. What would be as spectacular or make the same impact than a Vulcan or even get close...that could realistically return to the air in UK Airspace? Lightning, yes that would do it, but never going to happen. Replacing a 4 engine heavy like a Vulcan with a much smaller 2 engine machine like the Canberra or Mosquito just wont inspire their existing supporters I don't think.

I think they missed an opportunity - they could have acquired an airworthy VC10 and had it delivered to Robin Hood not so long ago, probably with a stock pile of spares. But realistically there seems little chance of seeing any four engined British heavy fly again: Victor, VC10, Nimrod, Comet (Canopus has been outside for 20 years now). So the next best thing has to be the Shackleton.

I wish them all the best, but doubt I'll be putting any money of my own behind either project.