PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:04
Danny42C

"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.

MPN11,
...My eye was also caught by:
"P/O Gabrielson thrown out of aircraft ‘U’ " (I assume from the rear cockpit?)
"... ordered F/O Ellis, gunner, to standby to bale-out."
Given the minimalist armament in the back of the VV, this seems an expensive way of manning it. Would Danny42C elaborate on that aspect, please?...
I think we may be mixing up two entries on NigG's #80 here:
...6 April ‘B’ Flight flew into a very bad storm. P/O Gabrielson thrown out of aircraft ‘U’ and landed safely by parachute. He arrived back after 6 days of walking....
and
...26 June [Note made about an attack he didn’t fly on:] Vengeance FD 105 had a hydraulic pipe burst when approaching the target at Tamu. PO Finnie, the pilot, ordered F/O Ellis, gunner, to standby to bale-out. But as both cockpits were filled with ‘smoke’, Ellis evidently misunderstood and baled-out...
As usual, these terse entries beg further questions. In the first place how did Gabrielson come to be "thrown out" ? Not wearing his seat harness ? Incredible !
In the second incident, I would guess the 'smoke' to be a mist (?) of hydraulic oil. Had a problem with the hydraulic plumbing in the cockpit one day, managed to get u/c down at last after some frantic pumping - but everything (inc me) soaked in fluid !

Although extra passengers were carried in the back of VVs from time to time on non-op runs, it was a dangerous business; there was no way of securing them, so they were likely to be injured in the slightest accident; they might (or might not) have parachutes. You would never do it on 'ops'.

And I'd like to take up NigG's
...4 March Another attack on the camp west of Kontha. Direct hits on target area. One aircraft lost. [An additional note adds:] WO Keech (USA) (pilot) and WO Watkins lost when their aircraft exploded during the dive over the target, possibly due to AA fire...
Peter C. Smith "Vengeance !" also has the story (p.123):
...'Curly' Keech flew on another strike.... Keech's plane never pulled out...both kiled instantly... Watkins had a small black and white mongrel called Snaggles with him, as he did on most missions...
Keech "(USA)" - how come ? And here's a dog story again. I simply do not know how this could be done - supposing you wanted to do it at all. How could you secure the animal ? And what about the dive ? The very last thing you would need would be a dog bounding round you while you were trying to concentrate on the dive and pull-out. What did your Boss think of the idea ? And your Flight Commander (he might have you in formation on his wingtip with the pooch licking your face). The mind boggles !

Lots more loose ends, but that will do for the moment,

Danny.

EDIT: FD105 (I've just put it in 'Bold' above) is a Mk.III - th first time I've heard of one on VV ops in Burma - thought all the bombing was done with Is and IIs.

Last edited by Danny42C; 23rd May 2016 at 15:19. Reason: Just noticed !