PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:42
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@GarageYears - dont know if EgyptAir carries ipads or laptops - but may be a good idea to separate these from their batteries and their chargers. Each have different issues.

A number of years ago a specific make of laptop, of what normally is a quality supplier, experienced a very large number of fires. I am not sure if it was the charger or the battery pack that caught fire. I do remember that many thousands had to be returned/replaced by the manufacturer.

Which also points out that for a proper technical discussion you may have to distinguish between manufacturing batch issues and more fundamental issues related to the specific technology.

Another issue, that certainly has to be included, is aging of batteries and packs. Older lions keep showing 100% but their actual capacity over time gets less. Also, older lions and rechargeables may be hotter than when they were new while charging.

A number of years ago i was involved in a system that heavily depended on lion batteries. We experienced a number of operational issues with them. At the time it surprised me how little information there was on them for operational users. So at the time, for that (radio and comms related) system, i started collecting my own.

An example of the lack of information is how to charge an iPad. Do you charge it to 100% and unplug it. Or is it better if you leave it plugged. And if you leave it plugged, is that when you dont use it, or (as some say Apple recommends) is it better to unplug it if you start using it. Simple questions but very hard to get a clear answer.

Some of the above is the reason why i asked if earlier, if for example an iPad is part of the aircraft configuration or part of the 'pilot configuration'. @nnco provided information about Class 1,2,3 EFB's. To answer the issues mentioned above you would require a more detailed classification system.

In a way you might compare these issues with earlier issues concerning the introduction of In Flight Entertainment Systems. It took a fatal accident with heavy (including NTSB) criticism of the FAA before old lessons were relearned. If you are unsure about facts, then you still have some more work to do.

Last edited by A0283; 23rd May 2016 at 15:02.