PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eithad 30 injured, broken bones, air turbulance
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:38
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
This is for neila83 :
Lastly, i would love to know how many of the seat belt fanatics wear a belt in taxis/buses. Given that people are constantly told flying is the safest form of travel, and given no clear warning why they should keep their belt on (if you want oax to wear it show them what happens in CAT, most people have no idea!) of course they dont wear it. And of course a pilot even takes it off if he's flying non-rev and needs the facilities near TOD.
On the rare occasions that I use cabs, I put on my seat belt. On those busses and trams that have them, I use them. As a pax on an aircraft, I put on my seat belt when I sit down, and only take it off when I have to get up and move around, get something from the bin, or need to readjust anything. Then it's back on. (FWIW, when driving, I often have to nag my wife when she doesn't put hers on as soon as the car gets rolling. She has a habit of always having something more important to do as she settles in to her seat. Funnily enough, when she drives, she does as she's supposed to, and buckles up before starting the engine).

For Capt Bloggs
If you are going to quote me, please do it properly. I said "Only idiots undo it while seated." I have no problem with somebody going to the loo or stretching their legs. If you are seated and you don't have your belt on, you are an idiot.
While I tend to fall in your camp on this, first timers on an airliner don't have a clue about a lot of stuff that seasoned fliers and industry professionals have imbedded into long term memory. All one can do (and this seems to me to be where a friendly CC can make a difference) is remind folks and encourage that use which for some has become the default habit.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 23rd May 2016 at 12:54.