PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving the Sandbox for Asia - change of scenery
Old 23rd May 2016, 04:55
WYOMINGPILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't let these guys blow too many kisses at you regarding the JCAB medical. The Initial medical is one of the most difficult in all of Asia to pass. I have 6 years in China, 23 years in the Air Force and 2 other Asian countries where I passed medicals and ended up failing the initial JCAB medical. They won't even tell you why or give you any feedback. I have some small issues with my ECG and suspect this is why but don't know for certain. The hearing test is extremely difficult and it starts and ends with a much softer decibel, many I never even heard a tone. They didn't use a treadmill stress test instead I climbed up blocks of wooden stairs for 30 minutes and then they did my ECG both before and after the stress workout. The eye tests were much more complex and the machines they use had issues as they couldn't get them to function properly for almost 30 minutes and then it was like Star Wars with flashing peripheral lights everywhere. The blood parameters seem to be more complex than any I remember in the military. I have heard the recurrent tests are much simpler and if you have issues they will work with you rather than against you as is the case with the initial. There are some decent gigs for pilot employment in Japan but be prepared for a difficult, extremely thorough and demanding Initial JCAB medical.