PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:08
SelfLoadingPAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Above The Clouds
After using the fire ext to stop the fire the offending lithium runaway is put in to a specially made sealable fire proof bag that can be filled with up to 5 litres of water to keep the lithium battery cooled, then the bag would stowed in a safe area usually a metal container in the galley.
First post here, and not a pilot for anything with a wingspan beyond 2m.
However, I work _a lot_ with LiPo batteries (the kind in the iPad for example), and I would seriously recommend that you talk to someone about those procedures.
A fire-extinguisher will only pause a lithium fire. Once oxygen reaches the battery, it will flame up again.
Also, putting a lithium based battery into water is questionable at best, as water has plenty of oxygen in it. It might contain the flames, but it might not.

The industry standard (for us that makes the devices, not the end-users obviously) is to have a two buckets half-full of sand. When on fire, toss the battery into one, and pour the sand from the other bucket on top of it.

There are also "LiPo sacks" that are made of fire-resistant materials, designed specifically to contain LiPo fires. Some users that push the batteries a lot (more risk), charge in these sacks. I don't know how you use your iPads, but I'm guessing that this will be inconvenient and/or not allowed.

Sorry for the OT. Couldn't figure out the if there's a PM function on here.
Now, back to watching quietly