PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:35
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
@fareastdriver
It doesn't make one type more dangerous than the other.
That is not the direction I was heading, in fact I was heading in the opposite direction. Two separate points: models with millions of hours of operation. (Both well seasoned/mature). How incredibly unusual it is that the rotor system comes off. Thus "bad design" and "that model's all wrong" is the idea I was addressing and calling in to question. There are a lot of different ways for things to go wrong in a helicopter.

aheoe26104
I hope you understand my concern?
Absolutely. With passengers/customers/ those not in the industry the modern knack for "truth by sound byte" makes people impatient to find the cause. Finding the cause of this tragic crash is important for future lives. Once the investigators get a good grip on it and can inform the public of their findings, whoever operates a helicopter (not just a Puma) can assess "what are the things we can do here so something a lot like that it doesn't happen here?"

I also appreciate the crisis in confidence among off shore workers, until more focused causal factors can be determined.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 22nd May 2016 at 11:53.