PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:13
einhverfr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a couple questions regarding the possibility of fire given the ACARS messages.

1. Are there measures in place to mitigate a fire taking out redundant electronic components?

2. Are there any cases of a fly-by-wire airliner (or even a military jet) having a fire in the cargo hold or electronics bay at cruise which maintained control long enough to land? I ask about fly-by-wire particularly because I suspect that the implications of an electrical fire on an electronics-controlled aircraft are somewhat different than on an aircraft with conventional hydrolics (not saying better or worse but wondering about close analogues).

3. What sorts of higher amperage circuits are connected to either the electronics bay or lavatory besides heating elements? Not interested in voltage, but amperage.

I am aware that smoke detectors, particularly ionization ones, can be set off by many things other than smoke (humidity, condensation, even overpressurization), but naturally the first question when one gets messages like this seem to my mind to be "was there a fire?"

I don't see how this can be looked at without finding close analogues. I looked and I could not find any quickly.