PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 21st May 2016, 22:08
aheoe26104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@HeliComparator

While I appreciate your truth about helicopter flying being dangerous, the big fan on the top coming off is a rare event in any model. (And thank the engineers for that!) The US Navy has been flying Seahawks with pretty much the same rotor system now as when introduced. (around 1980ish). That rotor head/system is very similar to the US Army Blackhawk, with a few bits and pieces different due to blade fold accommodation. I am pretty sure you won't find 3 events where the big fan came off the top since 1980 for the two fleets combined.

aheoe26104 asks "does it matter what the reason is?" The implication in that post is "no" and that there is something fundamentally wrong with the design. I cannot arrive at the same conclusion.

I say yes, it matters what the reason is. The reason may have to do with design or not, for this instance.
We'll see.
I don't think the "get over it" was a good response to that post -- even though the many hours of safe and effective operation speak volumes for the model being a good one.
Lonewolf, granted and I respect your opinion. It just seems we have a growing belief that if this accident was due to the poor workmanship during the fitting of the suspension bars (or the technical reason for it's failure), then somehow all the alarmists can sit back and relax and that the 225 and L2 can just return to service with a few minor (or major) changes in procedures. Granted the incidents in history are spread over 36 years, but are we prepared for more of the similar kind of catastrophe, even if the next time is due to yet another new reason? I hope you understand my concern?