PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dreaded Hi-viz vest
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2003, 16:52
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting responses

Just for the record, I've had a lightweight hiviz vest in my flight bag since 1993. I use it at times and in places where it is a positive aid to safety, not an excuse for a jobsworth to play games of "those are the rules". It's also orange rather than yellow. So I stick out and make myself more visible.

I also take safety airisde and in the air VERY seriously. That's how I've managed to fly for so many years without incurring the wrath of ATCs, CFIs, airport official, etc. Spotless record on that score, thank you. Both my a/c are fitted with txponders & VHFs and I USE THEM.

They key point is that this another blanket directive imposed by authorities & bodies who are scared s less about liability - yet, as pointed out, I don't recall any cases in GA where lack of a hi viz garment has resulted in a death or injury.

A pilot who failed to notice a two-legged being in his forward field of vision whilst on the ground airside should arguably first go and see an optician and then perhaps gracefully hang up his/her flying boots and take up building airfix kits.

Another recent thread complained about overactive A/G radio emanating from the tower at Barton. Arguably, all these things accumulate to the point where the bureaucratic clutter is so magnified that people WILL start having lapses - because everything is so uniform and regulated.

As I said before, take this to its logical conclusion and we will all have to wear hi-viz to step outside our front doors. Arguably, the car driver/pedestrian mix is a much bigger threat to personal safety. Ooops - better not give the Brusselcrats any good ideas