PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 21st May 2016, 08:12
Kawijet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satcomm,

I part agree with what you say but then you kind of go on to contradict yourself.
The AH tech experts that travelled to the crash site must have found some evidence to suggest that this is NOT the same as previous gearbox failures (As in G-REDL's epicyclic failure) as they went from: "we are allied with the decision taken to put all commercial EC225LP passenger flights on hold. " and 48 hours later to "Considering the additional information gathered during the last 48 hours, Airbus Helicopters’ decision, at this stage, is to not suspend flights of any nature for the EC225LP."

So I agree they found something but it is a pretty bold statement to suggest their helicopters ARE safe to fly just a few days after a catastrophic crash as the investigation has barely begun let alone concluded! Thats bold! Unless they are absolutely SURE this is NOT the same as G-REDL in any respect.

But you contradict yourself for the very point I have made above. You say this is most likely the same cause as the L2 (G-REDL) but thats what is so strange about this AH statement. If it was the same failure they would need details of the planetary gear metallurgy inspection report, and the conclusions of the accident report, to make damn sure it wasn't a failure due to a manufacturing defect, for which, they would be directly responsible! So they have to be sure for whatever reason this is not an epicyclic episode again especially at this early stage.

Its because of this, and the differences in the rotorhead seperation, I am inclined to agree with them....

...However, I do agree with you completely on Opinions.... and that one above is only mine. For all that is worth.