PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 21st May 2016, 02:39
Ranger One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those ACARS messages are intriguing. I'm not and never have been a bus driver so don't know the systems but... observations:

1. The messages span a period of several minutes. That fairly obviously - to me anyway - precludes a catastrophic event precipitating instant structural failure and breakup. So it's almost certainly not Pan Am 103 or TWA 800.

2. What messages would we expect to see in the event of a sudden depressurization caused by a breach of the pressure hull? What would we expect to see in the event of a crew-initiated depressurization via the outflow valves in an effort to - perhaps - deal with a fire/smoke condition? If there was a depressurization from any cause whilst the aircraft systems were still otherwise substantially intact and functional I would think we would absolutely expect to see a message related to that?

3. This sets me thinking; if - IF - this was an act of terrorism perhaps we should be looking at a device or devices that were incendiary rather than explosive in nature.

4. Is there any further ACARS encoding that would identify *which* lav smoke detector activated? Or will that have to await FDR recovery?

5. The 320 main avionics compartment is directly beneath the flight deck and forward lav... correct?