PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Words of wisdom appreciated
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2016, 22:53
300hrWannaB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mewsie
As others have said, you are not alone. Like you, I got well and truly stuck in the circuit practice phase. The instructor is following the book that says you must perfect your landing technique, then go solo, then introduce complexities of navigation, and single pilot management of the aircraft.
My issue was that I could only fly every other week, and winter weather often got in the way of that. I got rusty. It took a concerted effort to increase the frequency of flying sessions. Eventually we got there.

I think that I detect your challenge is during the flare phase? Are you flying low wing aircraft? They balloon worse than high wing, but once you crack the technique you can land anything. Slow speed handling is different to high speed, coarser, you have to adapt. Airspeed management is critical. If you approach at 75 when it's supposed to be 70 you need to lose that speed before you can ask the plane's permission to consider re-acquainting itself with Mother Earth.

In simple terms you fly at approach speed, descending towards the threshold. Level off a few feet above the ground, close the power and watch out the window. DON'T YANK THE STICK BACK. You've got to watch your attitude. As the speed decays (and it will), you try and keep it flying level, against all the odds, until she can't stay in the air any more. That's called a landing. You know it. I know it.

Meanwhile, if it's any consolation, I'll admit to not being proud of my capabilities. My second landing is usually my best, ie the one after the bounce. But today I feel good. A perfect 3-pointer.