PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Airline Requiements Foreign ATPL and Theory Requirements
Old 20th May 2016, 21:59
increase.descent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the other hand, why not just do all the ATPL exams and forget the conversion?
Trying to find the most efficient method given I have to fly back to Aus to sit each exam or utilise a block of leave. Still, it may end up being the most viable option if the flight test continues to be wrapped in red tape.

Metro man:

I wouldnt disagree that may be the view of the airlines here. Having been through 3 systems, (even doing the CASA ATPL syllabus as part of my Bachelors Aviation Degree) Ive found they all have the same basic knowledge requirements. However, every state has there own unique niche and subtleties they like to focus on (727 flight planning being ours ). Without a thorough theory course or guys really putting in the effort in to get their head around the unique requirements, it's easy to make anyone look incompetent, or inept, when they are in fact highly knowledgeable and skilled pilots.

In terms of the flying side of things, having done many thousands of hours previously in Aus on my CPL, well exceeding the ATPL hours requirement and still operating a widebody into Aus on a monthly basis, I find it laughable in this day and age that airlines in Australia would rate an overseas ATPL from a reputable ICAO state as "the easy way".

Prior to the licensing changes, we had guys flying Duchesses around in Aus - in day VMC - until they had enough hours for the licence to be posted to them.

Compare that to operating a heavy jet internationally, through airspace so congested the only way to deviate around weather is to declare a pan, ATC that is so poor they can't pronounce the letters CPDLC, or you get cleared to climb head on into opposite direction traffic. Airports that are so slot restricted, a 10 hour gate hold is common. In one flight, taking off in a borderline typhoon, rerouting around volcanic ash enroute and landing at 330 tonnes, CAT 3B in a -30 degree North American snow storm. Having to deal with outport engineers that are only interested in what's for grabs in the galley and look to you for which MEL to dispatch under.

Further to that all the reputable ICAO states now require flight testing for ATPLs in line with international / CASA standards. So there is really no difference in the licensing requirements - except for maybe minor differences theory / air law syllabi.

No disrespect meant at all to Aussie pilots, you are all probably twice as skilled as us expats. But the fact of the matter is the operating environment down in Aus (ATC being the exception ) is a siesta compared to most reaches of the globe.

To think airlines here would assume that an ICAO ATPL and wide body experience with a reputable carrier in a reputable state, was any lesser value than a guy who got his CASA ATPL flying boxes around Aus in a Baron, is, quite frankly, absurd.

They don't do it better than everyone else, unfortunately.

Anyway, end rant. I will fall in line and get back to trying to meet the requirements of the system.