PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to the Sky Trust to return Canberra WK163 to display flight
Old 20th May 2016, 19:12
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetail
I read on another thread that they actually claim to have 6 Engines (Avon 100s) all with the correct paperwork to allow them to be used for flight.

All the struggles Atlantic had getting a replacement engine with valid paperwork for it in 2006/7 seem to have been got round....really?.
Exactly.

I'm afraid I take everything that VTTS claim with a pinch of salt.

I dare say they do indeed have 6 x Avons, as a package with WK163, but to claim they are flight capable is hardly true, given the fact that CF/AA trawled the globe for some after the FOD damage.

This is from a new snippet posted by them elsewhere on the net back in 2012.

"From Steve Bridgewater at CAT/Airbase.

'Currently on “ a slow boat from California ” is a Rolls Royce Avon 109 engine that we are hoping and praying will be serviceable and allow Canberra WK163 to take to the skies once again!

As you are probably well aware the team has been working long and hard to source a replacement engine after WK163 suffered FOD ingestion on take-off from Coventry a few years ago. We have literally scoured the globe and explored numerous leads of inquiry but, until now, have drawn a blank.

However, we now seem to have sourced an engine which, on first inspection, looks useable. The paperwork (normally the major stumbling block) looks OK and the engine is inhibited. It is now en route to us for a full inspection and testing and, if all is well, we will aim to purchase it and install it in WK163.

There are, in fact, a couple of engines from the same source and if funds can be secured we will try to acquire at least one spare as well. '

Sadly, when that Avon 109 arrived at Coventry it was found it had sustained damage beyond repair during transit, and so, that's why WK163 has remained on the ground ever since.