PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 20th May 2016, 17:49
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DCS99
GPS location is transmitted.
Download the .csv files from here

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/c...ir-flight-804/
Just for completeness, the FR24 track shows a dead stable altitude, direction and speed for the period of time between the attempted communication and 00:29:33 Z. This is within a short number of seconds of the declared 00:30Z loss of primary radar contact. It is quite likely that at 0:29:33Z something happened that caused one of
1 - The ADSB antenna/cable structure to become disconnected from the transmitter
2 - The ADSB system to loose power

Actual FR24 ADSB data has historically proven to be quite accurate in heading, speed, position, and altitude. The errors seen have occurred where people were looking at projected track data or trying to determine to exactly which second a transmission relates.

Once times (to the second) related to the primary radar data are released, I suspect we will find the total time between flying straight and level and having completed the claimed 450 degrees of turning and 27,000 feet of descent will be 30-60 seconds (on the basis that if Greece lost radar contact any later than 00:30:35 Z they would have reported it as 0:31 Z.). That rate of yaw and descent has no relationship to any maneuver an Airbus could be commanded to make.

I would suggest that, despite the very clear graphics presented by the media, the raw radar data will not actually support the image we have been provided of an aircraft maneuvering; But will be more consistent with the radar image of MH17 after it started to disintegrate. (Note - I am not advancing any particular theory as to why this has happened).

As to, 'why can't we have better tracking', even if a GPS and its associated transmitter was perfectly able to continue to transmit till it sank (or ejected), it still could be a very significant distance from 'the important bits' (which ever they might be) of the wreckage as there is considerable potential for differential motion as parts fall from the sky and/or drift down in the water.