PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2016, 09:10
Danny42C

NigG (your #79),
... (Hope you don't mind me discussing you, Danny!)...
Not at all ! (If you stick your head above the PPRuNe parapet, you must expect a few brickbats with the plaudits).
D.

NigG (your #74 again, filleted),
...by August. I'll be able to lay my hands on Arthur's log book at the weekend, so hopefully this will shed more light...
We're all looking forward to it - Log books (F.414) are worth their weight in gold. Even seventy years after, you have all the accurate flying dates and details of movements. and can (fairly) easily trace a man's flying career. At the very back there is a "Record of Service" and "Aircraft Flown", as well. All the flying monthly summaries are countersigned by your Flight and Squadron Commanders. It is one of any aircrew's prize possessions - he will never willingly part with it.
...Maybe your lack of pressure suits had health implications,..
Don't think so. Never did me any harm I know of.
...I wonder if you had any personal experience of the Vengeance's teething problems?...
Where shall I start ? Better yet - cf "Pilot's Brevet" from about p.130 #2591 onwards.
...There were some generous-hearted, pro-British Indians...
Of course, the Maharajahs were all pro-British - they were safe in their Princely States (so long as they "played ball" with the Viceroy !) After Independence they got short shrift from the new Government, got their marching orders and were pensioned off. I believe the Palace of Jodpur is now a luxury hotel.
... as well as the other lot, who of course, were pushing for Independence...
The question of the relationship between the Raj and its former (till 1947) subjects in the Indian subcontinent is an enormous subject with 300+ years of turbulent history behind it. Far too much for discussion on this (or any other) Forum - and I don't feel qualified to try !

I've got "a foot in both camps": "Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, DFC, OBE" and "Pilot.s Brevet" Threads now, and it's a bit awkward. Could I possibly suggest that anything which does not refer to your distinguished late Father in any way is Posted on "Brevet" Thread (and vice versa) ? Just a thought (refusal will not give offence !)

Cheers, Danny.