PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 19th May 2016, 12:38
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidReidUK
An ADS-B "blindspot" in this context simply means that there isn't an enthusiast with a receiver within range of the flight, capturing data for Flightaware.

Likewise, the fact that previous days' plots are shown as continuous doesn't mean continuous data capture, all the enthusiast ADS-B networks use interpolation/extrapolation to some extent.

To put it another way, the precise point at which today's flight suffered a catastrophe can't be inferred with any certainty from what has been published by the flight tracking networks.
I don't entirely disagree however, the ADS-B data being received before and after the incident position in the days before the incident are almost entirely from one site either near or on LTFG Gazipasa-Alanya airport on the SW Coast of Turkey. This site is consistently recording ranges of up 260nm which is a good range for ADS-B receivers and easily covers out to the LKP. So in fact there is no blind spot and the flightpath is consistently covered by the LTFG Rx. I agree a precise point cannot be inferred by this especially since there was almost three minutes from the last transmission from the aircraft until Flightawre software began posting estimated positions but, I suggest the Flightaware position is very close.

Suggestions that ADS-B coverage is poor, that its flakey and that it cannot be relied upon are misleading. ADS-B is an important part of the ATC system as another poster has pointed out, but in terms of enthusiast coverage that could be correct except in this case LTFG has this flight route well covered.

MSR804 did not land at its destination. LTFG suddenly stopped tracking. I'm saying there is a very strong correlation between these two events and that the final Flightaware data while not precise, is close.